Special Needs Estate Planning

Estate planning for families with a dependent adult is complex: it requires an understanding of Wills, Henson trusts, trustee and guardian appointments, financial planning, government programs such as ODSP and RDSPs, tax planning and experience working with disability service providers. Jane is able to bring the perspective of a parent of a special needs child to her practice, making her uniquely qualified in guiding parents, family members and caregivers throughout the estate planning process.

In addition to the usual services found in her estate practice, Jane’s practice also includes:

  • Wills with Henson(or Absolute Discretionary) Trusts
  • Disability Expenses Trusts, Lifetime Benefit Trusts, Insurance Segregated Fund Trusts
  • Trust administration
  • Powers of Attorney for Property and Personal Care for the dependent adult 
  • Guardianship applications for the dependent adult
  • Appeals to the Social Benefits Tribunal from an ODSP decision refusing application

Jane lives in Oakville with her daughter Heather and acts for clients in the western GTA, including Halton, Peel, Dufferin, Hamilton-Wentworth and the other regions served by the Developmental Services Ontario Central West office.

Financial and Legal Considerations

Working with a financial advisor, planner or accountant is important to construct the family’s finances and investment goals and create a list of assets and debts. With the list of assets and the family's financial goals, Jane can advise on the legal tools appropriate for your circumstance. Trusts such as the Henson trust, Disability Expense Trust and Lifetime Benefit Trust are useful for most families where the dependent adult receives ODSP income support. 

Jane has a network of financial advisors and accountants who work with special needs families. Please contact her for a referral for professionals in your area.